Thursday, September 8, 2011

Woman in Iconic Photo Tell Post-9/11 Story about Depression, Addiction, Recovery

macy borders

Your Black World reports

Since that fateful day on September 11, 2001, Macy Borders has had a difficult life.  She has suffered through serious depression, was addicted to crack and had two of her children taken away from her.  Macy is also the person featured in one of the most iconic photos from 9/11, covered in dust as she ran away from the buildings that were falling on top of her co-workers.

Macy, who worked for Bank of America at the time, never forgot about her ordeal:

"[God] got rid of my biggest fear," said Borders, 38, referring to the killing of Osama bin Laden. "The treatment got me sober, but bin Laden being killed was a bonus.  I used to lose sleep over him, have bad dreams about bin Laden bombing my house, but now I have peace of mind."

Marcy Borders with 3yo son Zay-den

Macy had been on her new job for just a month when the planes hit the other tower.  She panicked and prepared to run out of the building.  Her boss told her to stay put, but she refused, running out the door.   Shortly afterward, the other tower collapsed.

"I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. The world went silent," she said.

She froze in panic, and that's when someone grabbed her to pull her into a building and the famous photo was shot.

"It was like my soul was knocked down with those towers," she said.

"My life spiraled out of control. I didn't do a day's work in nearly 10 years, and by 2011 I was a complete mess. Every time I saw an aircraft, I panicked. If I saw a man on a building, I was convinced he was going to shoot me.  I started smoking crack cocaine, because I didn't want to live."

Borders said she hit rock bottom as late as April of this year.   That's when she checked into rehab.   It was during her stay in rehab when she found out that Osama bin Laden was dead.  Since that time, she has moved in with her partner, Donald Edwards and regained custody of her two children, an 18-year old girl and 3-year old boy.  While her struggles with addiction have only recently come to an end, she is optimistic about her future.

"The last 40 days have been the best since Sept. 11," she said. "We've got our family back. The kids have got their mom back."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this story and the photo from that tragic day. I have often thought of this photo and wondered whatever happened to the woman in it. I'm sorry to hear about the bad times but extremely glad to hear that on this 10th anniversary things have turned around. Macy, please let go and let God handle everything. He knows what you need and will never let you down. Have faith and you will stay strong!

MD said...

Did she get rights to her photo? Although it's not always about money, she can make lots of revenue from this photo. I'm sorry to hear about her fears, hopefully her struggles made her stronger and it's good to know she has her family back. Stay strong and keep God first in all you do. I share my condolences for those who perished in 9/11 attacks and those still recovering from the tragedy.

HHarden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HHarden said...

This article was truly inspiring to me. I look at the woman in the picture and can just see the utter shock. I hate that life for the last ten years have been so tough, but thank God you are doing better. Hold close to Him! He is the only life line. God Bless America! We will never forget!