Saturday, January 19, 2008

Justice For All Americans



The 2008 election is about so much more than the Presidency. It is about fairness, due process, and equal protection under the law for all Americans including Black Americans.


We have all seen the headlines that are direct evidence that justice isn't fair in this country. Those stories making headlines includes the Jena 6 case and reports that many of our people have served years in prison for crimes that they did not commit.

We as a race of people are not only victims of injustice in criminal court cases but also victims of an unjust civil court system. I like many of you have been victimized by employment discrimination and retaliation.

As an underdog born into poverty I managed to achieve my dream of graduating from college and having what should have been a great career with New York State Department of Corrections. My dream and my life were shattered by employment discrimination.


Eliot Spitzer a Democrat is currently the governor of New York State. Governor Spitzer was the Attorney General of the State of New York when a member of his staff, Mike Russo, Assistant New York State Attorney General, filed seven perjured declarations in federal court during my pro-se lawsuit. The perjured declarations were filed to prevent a jury from ruling that the NYS Department of Corrections violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended.

During the course of my quest for justice in my discrimination (Title VII)case, I contacted many people and news media outlets. Two of the people that I contacted were Senators Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

I sent e-mails to Senator Clinton on numerous occasions. I sent the e-mails before and after the unjust dismissal of my Title VII case. Although my concerns and issues all occurred in the State of New York. Hillary Clinton did not respond to my pleas for assistance and/or justice.

It is my belief that Senator Clinton didn’t respond to my e-mails because of her ambition to become President Hillary Clinton. She did not want to upset the "establishment” of New York State that included Governor Spitzer.

Senator Barack Obama’s office responded to my e-mail. In fact of all the law professors, senators, and news media outlets that I contacted prior to 2007 Obama was the only one that responded to my emails. His staff called me on the telephone.

It was proper for Obama’s staff to respond to my email because for a period of time I lived in Rockford, Illinois. I leased an apartment and moved to Rockford to be near Jeremiah, my now four-year-old grand son. My precious grand boy has had three open-heart surgeries at Children’s Hospital outside of Chicago.

A 2008 presidential victory for Obama will generally increase Democratic majorities in the House of Representatives and the Senate. Thereby giving the new President more leverage not only in subsequent appointment of federal judges but also in any Supreme Court appointments he may make to the courts.

This year we have the opportunity to make this election a civil / equal rights victory for all Americans. If we elect President Barack Obama he will have the power to nominate federal judges and possibly Supreme Court Justices for lifetime appointments.

After the President nominates the federal judges and/or Supreme Court Justices for appointment Congress must confirm the nominees. Once confirmed by Congress the federal judges and/or Supreme Court Justices remain on the bench for life.

An increase in the Democratic majority in Congress will also help Obama on his domestic legislative agenda that includes issues of civil rights, health care, education, and improving the economy.

I believe that Senator Barack Obama can and will win the general election for president. He can win if we as a people trust God and vote for him in all of the upcoming primaries and in the general election.

Vera Richardson is the author of “A Case of Racial Discrimination and Retaliation Real or Imagined."
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&EAN=9780615177014

No comments: